Bamboo Star is the latest chapter out of Hong Kong hard rock music. Described as “classic rock with a contemporary edge, and a possible hint of J-Rock”. Founding members lead singer Wolf and guitarist Terrence took on the name Bamboo Star (phonetically ‘Jook Sing’ in Cantonese) which refers to Chinese people who have Western backgrounds. As a four-piece band, the powerful, high-pitched and layered vocal harmonies, combined with blistering, blues-driven guitar solos are reminiscent of the arena-rock style that we know and love, while bringing it forward with a modern sound and twist.
Attracting the attention of various visual artists to produce four original music videos, the band also have quite a following from the Hong Kong live music scene and have begun making television appearances. Their most notable Hong Kong performance to date was at the newly built Central Harbourfront, performing for The Underground FANZONE Festival in March 2014. Gaining powerful momentum, they were invited to perform four shows at the 2014 Music Matters Live Festival in Singapore, a global music industry event featuring many visiting international acts. Following up to this, the group embarked on a six show tour in ChengDu, China as part of the Lan Kwai Fong Carnival. To conclude an eventful year, they returned to the Central Harbourfront to perform at the AIA European Carnival New Year’s Eve show, moments before the countdown to 2015.
The following June, Bamboo Star won the 2015 Planetrox Competition, a Canadian-based global competition. As such, the band represented Hong Kong, Macau and China at the Envol et Macadam alternative music festival in Quebec, Canada in September, as well as performances in the nearby cities of Toronto and Montreal. Bamboo Star’s first independently produced CD was completed in July which was immediately supported by a promotional tour of Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand in July, followed by their Canadian Tour. Their home-coming after a busy touring period was their Album Release Party in Hong Kong in October.
2016 Will see the band perform at the Spring Scream Festival in Kenting, Taiwan.
- Fah Thai (Thailand) - January 2016 Edition: Pop Goes the Protest
- HK ELD - Live with Lizzy: Bamboo Star Album Release Review
- South China Morning Post - Beyond Cantopop
- CPS Asia (Singapore) - Interview 25/07/2015
- The Underground - Planetrox 2015 Winner Interview
- ZukSession - Interview 18/05/2014
- ATV - Guest Performance on Asian Entertainment: Rock Angel Band House
- ALCTV - Interview w/ ANGEL LEUNG's Angel Show Time 30/04/2014
- The AU Review (Australia) - Hello Asia:Interview @ Music Matters Live 24/04/2014
- RTHK3 - Interview on Morning Brew 25/03/2014